St. Charles Catholic School began construction in 1950 and opened its doors to students for the first time in 1951. The school started as a way to fulfill the need in the area for more Catholic schools. The original school had one wing and served about 200 students, with 3 additional wings opening by 1957 to serve over 700 students. The Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia staffed the school until 1992, followed a few years later by the Sisters from the Order of Mary, Mother of the Church. The school is currently staffed by lay faculty, overseen by the parish priest. Mass was originally held in the school gym, until the new church’s construction was completed in December of 1960. According to a document celebrating the Parish’s 50th Anniversary, the parish community has a proud history and was built on a foundation of commitment to the Catholic Faith and the education of children.
Students consistently score above the national average for student growth and we have a high success rate of students entering advanced/honors classes their Freshman year of high school.
St. Charles is embarking on a transition to a Catholic Classical Liberal Arts curriculum beginning in the Fall of 2020, and we are excited to bring this model to Spokane, WA.