Due to COVID-19, there will be no Diocesan sports, at least through the fall. When sports are reinstated the following policies will apply:
A sports program is offered by St. Charles School for both boys and girls in grades Kindergarten-8th grade. Each student participating in the program shall present to the school proper forms which are available from the coach or at the School Office. PRIOR TO THE FIRST PRACTICE the following forms need to be completed and submitted to the coach:
- Diocesan Parental Permission Form. Use Diocese website – see policy.
- Physical Exam Form
- Player participation fees
- Student-Athlete Parent Code of Conduct
- Concussion Form
The Principal of St. Charles School is responsible for ensuring that the athletic program is consistent with the philosophy and goals of St. Charles School and the Diocese of Spokane.
St. Charles School believes that all forms of student activities should contribute to the balanced and integrated development of the total person. We believe that a competitive sports program that emphasizes improving skills and the pursuit of excellence is essential to enjoy the competition. Furthermore, it has been studied and verified that these sports activities do, in fact, accomplish the objectives outlined below and contribute to the overall development of the student athlete. It has also been indicated that students involved in sports tend to excel in school and avoid activities that lead to the detriment of their healthy development. The ultimate objective is to create an athletic program, in which we will provide a spiritual atmosphere that encourages total development in our student athletes:
- Increased sense of accomplishment and self-esteem;
- Self-confidence and self-control through association with teammates and opponents in a competitive environment, promoting positive discipline and following school regulations;
- Sportsmanship that reflects the moral code of our school community;
- Development in physical skills, conditioning, and the formation of good overall health;
- Leadership skills;
- Social development that, through behavior, demonstrates respect for teammates, coaches, parents, officials, fans, property, and St. Charles Catholic School; and
- Teaching the fundamentals of each sport, team concepts, and rules of the game.
All sporting activities will take place in a spiritual atmosphere of Christian growth and development.
Each student participating in league play is expected to maintain a minimum of a 75% average © or may not have earned a failing grade (F) in any subject at midterm or quarter.
Loss of Eligibility
- The student is required to attend games and practices but may not participate in any athletic game;
- The student may continue to participate in practice;
- The student may be reinstated to participate in games or matches after he/she has improved their grade to a 70% average in the course failed or an overall average of 75% or higher. If the grade has not improved, the suspension from games and matches will continue until the student has achieved the minimum passing grade in the course. Grades may be reviewed one week after the first week’s suspension.
- End of the quarter does not reinstate a student who has lost their eligibility.
In the event of academic probation:
- The teacher will provide a written note to the AD/principal who will in turn inform the coach that the student has been placed on academic probation.
- The student’s teacher will provide written verification to the coach and principal that the student has been reinstated to participate in games or matches.
- A student may appeal a suspension to the principal.
Athletic Grievance Procedure
All grievances will be presented in writing to the St. Charles School Principal who will work with the Athletic Director, coaches, and Diocese Athletic Committee as needed.
Pete Mauro: firstname.lastname@example.org